The first funding for this search engine was an August 1998 contribution of 1 Lakh USD from Andy Bechtolsheim.
Read Also - Facebook: Some Interesting Things You Must Know
- Google indexed 26 million web pages in 1998. Now, it indexes 60 trillion individual pages.
- Google handled 10K search queries daily when it was in beta in 1998. Today, Google handles more than 100 billion searches each month.Craig Silverstein
- Google hired its 1st employee (+Craig Silverstein) in Sep. 1998 and had 1,907 employees as of March 31st, 2004, a few months before going public. By the end of last quarter, Company had 44,777 employees.
- Google's first Doodle was published in August 30th, 1998 to show that founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin were out of the office attending the Burning Man music festival. There have since been more than 1K+ Google Doodles.
- Google made its 1st public acquisition in 2001 when it acquired Deja.com's Usenet Discussion Service.
- Google's stock opened at $85 a share on August 19, 2004. Google stock opened at $874 on Friday morning, a more than 10-fold increase.
- Google had a market cap of $23 billion on the day it went public. Its current market cap is just more than $300 billion.
- Google reported revenue of $961.9 million in 2003. In 2012, Google reported its first $50 billion revenue year.
- Larry and Sergey opened a Google bank account in September 1998 that consisted of a 1 Lakh USD check from the co-founder (Bill Joy, Vaughan Ronald Pratt, Scott G. McNealy, Andy Bechtolsheim, Vinod Khosla) of Sun Microsystems.
- Google acquired Android (Andrew E. Rubin is the co-founder of Android) in 2005.
- Google take off its Street View efforts in 2007 to map the world.
- Google introduced its social network +Google+ a little over 3 years ago.
- Chrome, Google's browser, launched in 2008. 4 years later, it passed IE browser to become the most popular web browser and currently has more than 755 million users.
- Company had 38% of mobile ad revenue worldwide in 2011. In 2013, the company had 53.17% of global mobile ad revenue, or about $8.8 billion.
- YouTube had around 20 million unique monthly visitors in 2006 when it was acquired by Google in $1.65 billion.